Acupuncture for Migraines and Headaches
Wheaton, Joliet, and Naperville Area
At Eastern Healing of Wheaton and Joliet, we treat migraines and headaches with Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine. These safe, alternative treatments treat the acute symptoms as well as the underlying imbalances that cause migraines and headaches.
Numerous studies and clinic trials have proven acupuncture an effective treatment. Headaches are also included in the list of conditions recognized by the World Health Organization (WHO) for which acupuncture is effective.
How Acupuncture and TCM help with Migraines and Headaches
- In Chinese medicine, migraine headaches are attributed to over-activity of certain chemicals or systems and under-activity of others. During a migraine attack, the over-activity is most prevalent. Between migraines, the under-activity, or susceptibility, to triggers is what is treated.
- Acupuncture targets specific points which helps your body regulate the blood flow in the small vessels that typically become constricted in a migraine attack.
- Acupuncture and TCM help the body balance the neurotransmitter serotonin. Studies have found that low serotonin levels make people more vulnerable to headaches.
- Acupuncture releases endorphins (natural painkillers) into the central nervous system. This is the most commonly cited mechanism to explain the effectiveness of acupuncture in relieving pain.
- Acupuncture relaxes tense muscles, which can also help to relieve migraines and headaches.
Before treating you for migraines or tension headaches, we perform a full health evaluation and discuss your pain levels, medical diagnosis, medications, and your goals with you. Then we recommend an individualized plan to address your pain that may include acupuncture, herbal medicine, diet therapy, cold laser treatments, or other Chinese medicine modalities.
Acupuncture sessions take about an hour and are generally more frequent when you start treatment then slowly taper off as you improve.
Find out how acupuncture and Chinese medicine can help you reduce migraine and headache pain naturally. Schedule an appointment in our Wheaton or Joliet offices by calling 630-653-4358 today.